Who is Bariyu?
Who is Bariyu?
Bariyu is a not for profit, Aboriginal owned organisation providing business foundation support for Indigenous people who wish to build a commercial and sustainable business and actively participate in the broader Australian economy.
How Bariyu achieves its goals?
Bariyu achieves its goals by working with Indigenous people to investigate the viability of their business idea, implement Bariyu’s business development programs and utilise Bariyu’s network of Indigenous business owners and leading Australian corporates.
Bariyu operates the following programs in a culturally and commercially safe environment:
- Think BARIYU (Business Incubator for Indigenous Entreprenuers & Startups)
- Growth BARIYU (Support into the Market & Business Growth)
- Events BARIYU (Business Networking Events)
- Business Hosting Hub (Coming Soon)
The 2015 research report, Community-Owned Indigenous Businesses Across Remote, Regional And Urban Australia by Professor Morrison, Collins and Associate Professor Krivokapic-Skoko found that from 266 Indigenous businesses 50.4% (134) had no business support from other business owners, family (with business experience) and business mentors, advisors and coaches. The number of Indigenous businesses have recently increased largely due to the Australian Governments Indigenous procurement policy.
This has been echoed by Indigenous business owners including members of Supply Nation and participants at the Prime Minister’s Reception for Young Indigenous Innovators and Entrepreneurs in early 2016.
Bariyu provides the needed support to Indigenous people, entrepreneurs and innovators initially in the greater Sydney area. The programs consist of:
- Think BARIYU (Business Incubator for Indigenous Entrepreneurs & Startups): Activities in this program includes exploring business ideas, investigating the market and viability, identifying the right business structure, implementing effective business management procedures and processes. This will be confirmed by direct and independent support by Bariyu’s corporate supporters including Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Boston Consulting Group, Norton Rose Fulbright and UTS Business School.
- Growth BARIYU (Support into the Market & Business Growth): Bariyu provides direct support to Indigenous businesses that are entering the market and established businesses with ambitions to further develop their business but need assistance. Bariyu also matches businesses to liked mentors (established Indigenous entrepreneurs and business owners) in similar fields for additional business support.
- Events BARIYU (Business Networking Events) – Bariyu will host monthly business events allowing Indigenous business access to corporate Australia and relevant government statutory bodies. The events will attract an average of 30 Indigenous businesses and corporations, totalling 300 business and organisation placements each year. Bariyu’s corporate supporters will assist in content delivery at each seminar. The events will be hosted in the Aboriginal community and at Bariyu’s corporate supporter’s venues.
The Business Hosting Hub (opening 2018) will provide existing Indigenous businesses with an opportunity to reduce their fixed operating overheads and have access to offices near Sydney’s central business district.
Bariyu’s founding member are experienced Indigenous business owners, entrepreneurs and innovators who are committed to working with Indigenous people to achieve their social and economic goals. Bariyu Directors attended the Prime Minister’s Reception for Young Indigenous Innovators and Entrepreneurs in early 2016 and operate businesses that are members of Supply Nation.
Bariyu is supported by leading Australian corporates and an Aboriginal member based organisation to assist Bariyu in achieving its aims and objectives. Bariyu’s founding supporters are:
Bariyu would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands on which we live and work, and pay our respects to elders past and present.